Friday, June 13, 2008

Just So You Know...

It seems that lately all I want to do is hold Riley and look at her and kiss her and tell her and her Daddy how much I love them. I just can't help it. I feel so blessed and I don't want to take even one little thing for granted. This is not a new feeling for me, but it has become more intense lately for several reasons. So, I was thinking the other night about how I just love to sit and hold Riley, but the thing is that she won't really let us do that too much anymore. It made me so happy that, for the first few months of her life, that's basically all I did. And, I gave all of the grandparents permission to do so, too : ) Believe me, they took me up on it. Right, Gran? I would literally sit and hold her for hours while she slept. Oh, how I would love to do that now. People loved telling me that I was going to spoil her and I shouldn't hold her that much, etc., etc., but I didn't care and I wouldn't change it. So, just so you know... we spoil Riley. There. I said it. We spoil her, we know we spoil her and we will continue to spoil her. It's our parenting method and we love it! So, any of you who might think about having a talk with us about it, forget it! We are fully aware of what we're doing. In fact, I'll go ahead and let you in on something else, too. We don't put her in bed and let her fall asleep on her own. Nope! We hold her, rock her, or whatever else we feel like doing. That's how she goes to sleep. She loves it and we love it, so that's what we do. Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest : )

I'm sure that none of you would be suprised if I told you that I was spoiled growing up. My memories of my bedtime rituals include laying on the couch - or floor - with my dad scratching my back until I went to sleep, then he'd carry me to bed. Or, other nights, I would lay my head in my mom's lap while she rubbed it and played with my hair. So, needless to say, I don't think much of this mumbo jumbo of 'you must put your child to sleep while they're still awake or they won't sleep good'. Whatever! I turned out fine - ok no jokes people - and so will Riley. She's my little angel and I hope she has as many special memories of her childhood as I do.

If I had to give one piece of advice to a new mother it would be this: hold that sweet baby as much as you can and let others do it, too. Both of you will love it! It won't be long before he/she won't let you do it anymore. What if, God forbid, something happened to my sweet angel and I hadn't held her that much and spoiled her like this? OK. I'm going to stop now before I get into all my sappy talk. Count your blessings today. I know I am! I'm including a picture of Daddy and his girl. It's an old one, but oh how sweet!

No comments: