Monday, October 27, 2008

Where My Heart Is

*** Update: I have added the picture of Riley's first time eating chocolate syrup and biscuits. Scroll down to see it!

Riley and I went this past weekend to Huntsville to visit family. What a great time we had!! My main purpose for this trip was to watch my nephew, Eddie, play football. He's a senior this year and plays for Westminster Christian Academy and I had yet to see him play. I hadn't been to a high school football game in so long and it really was fun! I'm so glad that I got to see him play before the season is over. I really cannot believe that he is a senior. Where did all of those years go?! I also got to spend some rare, special time just me and him. I can't remember the last time that happened. (Kyla was too busy with her new boyfriend to come along with us.) I took him to eat at Rosie's, of course. You all know by now that I cannot make a trip to Huntsville without eating at Rosie's and this time was no exception. I had such a great time talking with Eddie and finding out what's going on with him. He and Kyla are such wonderful children and I am so proud of both of them.

Riley and I stayed at Nay Nay's house this weekend. While we were all at the beach a few weeks ago, my parents' house flooded due to a damaged pipe in the kitchen, so they are in a small apartment right now. Anyway, we really enjoyed staying there and getting to spend time with Nay Nay and Uncle Fred. Gran even came over and stayed with us so that we wouldn't miss out on our time with her. Riley really had fun playing with the toys that Nay Nay has for Sarah Grace and, also, learning new things. She learned to open drawers and kitchen cabinets and even said "Nay Nay" a few times. I'm not really sure why she hasn't opened drawers and cabinets at our house yet, but I'm sure she will now : ) Riley also got to spend a good bit of time playing with her cousin, Sarah Grace. They really had a good time and Sarah Grace was so good with Riley. As you can see, they even have a good, friendly Alabama/Auburn rivalry going:

Nay Nay made chocolate syrup and biscuits for us each morning and we even let Riley have some. I'm sure it won't be the last time. Here is a picture of her first adventure with our family tradition of chocolate syrup and biscuits. Notice the retro high chair. It was mine when I was little : )

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to visit with the "Huntsville Girls" this time, but I did get to see some other special people that I rarely get the chance to see. Since I was going to Eddie's game on Friday night, I took the day off of work and headed to Huntsville on Thursday night. Since I am never able to make it down during the week, I took the opportunity to go and see my Raytheon friends. It was so good to see them and show off my sweet angel, too! I miss that place! As I was heading back to Nay Nay's house after my visit, I was a little sad and Ben happened to call. He asked me what was wrong and I told him "You know that my heart is in Huntsville". I know it makes him feel a little bad that we can't live there, but he knows how I feel. Huntsville is my home. It's where I grew up and where my family lives. It's where my very best friends are. It's where I had the coolest job! Don't get me wrong, Birmingham is good and I am so thankful for the family that I have here and the friends that I have made. Without them, I don't know what I would do. Ben's family is so sweet and I love being with them. I have long time friends that live here, as well as new ones. I will always long to move back to Huntsville, though, and maybe one day we will. For now, I'll just have to visit and make the most of the time I have with my family and friends there.

We had to head back on Saturday to get Riley's one year and Christmas pictures taken with Bonnie of Blink Photography. She does such a great job and I can't wait to see the pictures. Riley did really well and was happy throughout the whole session and I know she got some great shots!

Oh! And I can't post this without mentioning that Riley is getting 2 more teeth - that makes 6 total! One is actually barely through the gums and the other one is on it's way through. Of course, this means that the nights have been a little difficult for us lately. OK - a lot difficult. I really need to figure this stuff out. (This is not an invitation for advice, but thanks!) I know I spoil her and I know I should probably not go in there every time she cries, but I can't help it : ) I was spoiled, so it's all I know. Blame my mom and dad ; )

So, needless to say, I had a GREAT weekend!! Hope you all did, too! Here's another picture of the most adorable Bama cheerleader I've ever seen.

1 comment:

Kyla said...

haha thanks for that comment about me. :) I still love you!